Updating your details

Please inform us if you change your name or telephone number (including mobiles), or move within our catchment area. If you move out of our catchment area you will need to register with another practice. Provided that you are still within our catchment area, you will need to complete a form, which is available from Reception. If you are changing your name, you will need to provide supporting documents e.g. marriage certificate, deed poll documents, Decree Absolute or other relevant documents. If you currently are able to obtain your medication from our dispensary, you may not be able to after your move if you have moved outside our authorised dispensing area – or visa versa – please check with the receptionist or dispensary.